Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 35- Donate winter coats

Donate winter coats

Event done on 1-31

I hate winter. I really do. It's cold, it's windy, it's snowy and mostly annoyingly it's cold. All my life I've lived in places with seasons. One day I would love to live somewhere without a winter, but alas since my hubby is constantly hot and I'm constantly cold, it looks like a warmer a location isn't going to happen.

Sigh.

Mostly I hate winter because I hate my big stupid blue coat. I hate it. I feel ugly in it.
But I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

However this year I broke down and bought a new coat, two in fact, and I love them. Now I'm slightly less grumpy about winter.

Event:
I looked in my closet and it was overloaded with perfectly fine, warm coats.
Now my guilt kicked in. Yes. I am a VERY lucky person, I'm complaining that my coat makes me feel ugly. I am acutely aware that there are many people without coats. I watch my students everyday walk into the school without coats.


I gathered up all the coats in my closets that I will not be wearing and I donated them to Goodwill.

Reaction:

The volunteer at Good Will was a teenage boy who looked very sleep. He grunted most of his responses. I commented on how clean and well organized the donation center looked. He grunted. I gave him the bag of coats and I told him what was in the bag. He nodded and "Oh good. Thank you."



Will I do it again? Sure. I donate my clothes twice a year. I've donated old dressed around prom time, so a girl can have that iconic teen moment. Coats are tougher because they last longer then most clothes.
Cost: None
Effort: I did have to drive to Goodwill in a snowy parking lot. But besides that not too much
Time: about one minute

No comments:

Post a Comment