Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 50--laundry again

Wow Day 50... 50 days of doing nice things. That's pretty impressive number. What should I do to celerbrate this?

Hmmm. I need to think about this.

Last time I put change in the washer and dryers at the laundry mat, I felt like I had done it wrong. I had never been in laundry mat, expect for the ones at the dorms in college. I dumped all my quarters in one kind of machine.

When I started Project Nice up again, I wanted to it differently.

The first time I went, it was in the middle of the day and my daughter was running around all crazy.

I figured the best time to go would be after the storm and people could finally leave their house. Expect that didn't happen. Real life got in the way. Once I got out of the house, I had a lot of other things I wanted to do and the laundry mat fell off the list.

I figured some time after six would be a better time, after work, there would be more people and I could put quarters into the most popular machines.

Event:
I drove over at 6 pm and the parking lot was almost empty. There was one person loading up her car with clothes and another car was unloading.
Hmm so loading a bunch of machines with quarters isn't going to work.

I appoarched the man walking into the laundry mat, "Hi, I was going to drop these quarters into machines but it would be better if I just gave them to you."

He blinked at me, there was a language issue. "I have plenty of quarters." He showed them to me.

"Oh, well you can have these."

He said, "I will call my brother."

"Ok. See I'm doing this thing where I"m nice to people, and I'm being nice to you."

I think he thought I wanted to trade the roll of quarters for bills.

"hold on." He said.

I went inside and started repeat the same mistakes I made last time. I dropped three quarters into dryers.

He came back in. I tried to hand him the quarters but he wanted me to count out how many dollars there were.

I counted out $9.25 and left them on the washer. "Well they're all yours." I said and walked away.

Reaction.
"Wait! You're giving them to me?" He said.
"Yep, I'm doing something nice for people and today I'm being nice to you." He seemed very moved by this. He kissed my hand and told me "Thank you, I will remember you."
"Oh, just be nice to someone."
"I will."

His reaction caught me off guard because I thought he understood what was happening. But it wasn't until I walked away leaving the quarters that he knew I was giving them to him. He seemed very impressed and moved by this act of kindness.

As soon as I got into my car, he was on his cell phone talking to who I would assume was his brother.

Would I do it again: Not sure, out of all the things I've done, this was the first time I felt unsafe. It was dark and I was the only woman. Not too many "danger red flags" went up, but I didn't feel as secure as I would have liked.
Cost: $10.00 in quarters
Effort: It was hard to explain the situation.
Time: 5 minutes to drive there, ten minutes to explain and do everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment