Friday, March 12, 2010

Linda- day 6

TITLE: Gave away items/money on a role-playing game 02-14-10

Date: Feb 14, 2010

If you have ever played a MMORPG (massive multiplayer online role-playing game), you may have come across newbies who need help getting started in the game, or beggars who just want free stuff. Sometimes it is very difficult to get help and resources. I think it really depends on how nicely you ask for things and how generous the other person is.

Event:
Today is not only Valentine’s Day, it is Chinese New Year. The game I play happens to have an item called “red envelope”, and upon opening it, the player receives a random amount of money. In reality it’s a common item given out during the New Year.

Given the occasion, I decided to hunt/collect two hundred of those a few days earlier and drop them everywhere in towns for random people to pick up and keep. I made sure to visit populated areas, because dropped items on the ground will disappear after a few minutes if no one picks it up. Luckily, people did pick them up. Some people also sent me a direct trade request if they wanted more.

Reactions:
Most players took them without saying anything, and I’m not surprised (when you drop stuff, people initially think you just don’t want it). A few people said thank you. A few people were confused as to why I would throw away money. One person messaged me about that.


Later, this same person gave me a rose by surprise. How sweet, I thought.

Would I do it again? Sure

Cost: 200 red envelopes that I hunted myself, so I didn’t spend anything.
Effort:
Click click click click click click click. Not hard.

Time: about 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment