Sunday, March 14, 2010

Susan Day 1

TITLE: Baked brownies for a co-worker

Date: Feb. 4, 2010

Explanation of the act: A very sweet young military woman who was working in my office got reassigned suddenly. She was told that afternoon that she should pack up her things and report to another assignment elsewhere in the building. She was very upset about this because she liked working in our office and the reassignment came out of nowhere. No one got to say goodbye to her (we usually take the departing person out to lunch as a send-off). I’m one of the last people to leave and sit closest to her, so I noticed what was happening and asked her what was wrong.

Event: I baked her brownies that night and brought them to her new office.

I made them extra fudgy by adding Nutella (she loves nuts). Did I mention she’s also a new mom and gets to eat lots of extra calories because she’s breast feeding?

Reactions: She was very excited about the brownies (I’m not sure if her husband got any) and followed me back to my desk and talked to me for a long time. I eventually had to excuse myself and get back to work, but you could tell she was grateful that someone cared enough to do this for her.


Would I do it again? Absolutely

Cost: under $5
Effort:
Not much. Baking is easy—or was easy, until I got 2 kittens. I had to lock them in the basement while I was mixing up the batter.

Time: About an hour

No comments:

Post a Comment