Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Melanie Day 4

Day 4: Left notes in Barnes and Noble books.

Left notes in Barnes and Noble books, February 6, 2010.

Spontaneity is a great feeling. Knowing that there are people who like the same things you like is a great feeling. Why not combine them?

Event: I went to my local Barnes and Noble bookstore and left notes inside two books: Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines, both of which are by John Green. Technically, these were “nerdfighter notes.” (If you don’t know what nerdfighters are, the short answer is that they’re a group created by author John Green and his brother, Hank. They do cool things like Project Nice, discuss books, and other awesome projects.)

One said something along the lines of: “Hi! So you like John Green! (Or at least I’m assuming you do because you just bought this book.) You’re probably a nerdfighter. If you know what that is, I love you. If you don’t, I still love you, but you should probably check out nerdfighters.com. DFTBA.”

The other said something like: “French the Llama! By reading this book, you have become more awesome than a puppy-sized elephant! Don’t know what that means? Check out nerdfighters.com. Know what that means already? Cool! Don’t forget to be awesome.”

Reactions: Not sure, since I didn’t see anyone pick up/buy/read the books. I know I’d love to find notes that that, but I can only hope whoever finds them likes them!

Would I do it again? Yes!

Cost: $0.
Effort:
Not much – writing the two notes, walking to the Barnes and Noble. The most difficult part was inconspicuously picking up the books, slipping in the notes, and replacing the books on the shelves. The goal was to do it without looking creepy or like an idiot. I doubt I accomplished that.

Time: About 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment