Thursday, April 1, 2010

Melanie Day 5

Day 5:Gave thanks for food.

Gave thanks for food, February 10, 2010.

So…it snowed a lot on the East Coast. On February 10th, my school cancelled classes. For the first time in over a decade. This was no mere snowstorm, my friend.

Meanwhile, my school was keeping the library open with normal hours. The student resource center remained open. All of the dining halls were open, serving thousands of students like any other day. But at the end of the day, all the employees would have to leave campus and trudge through the snow to get home, whether or not they lived in Manhattan. It wasn’t any of their decisions to stay open despite the snow and do their jobs; that’s what the university thrust upon them. Nevertheless, they continued to work with the care and energy they always do.

Event: As I was getting dinner and giving my school card to the cashier at one of the dining halls, I said, “Wow, I was so thankful that you guys were going to stay open in the snow. Seriously, I’m really grateful; thank you so much.”

Reactions:
The cashier couldn’t get enough of it! She was doubled over in bashful laughter by the end, and her smile was one of the biggest I’ve seen in a long time.


Would I do it again?
Sure.

Cost: $0.
Effort:
Nothing out of the ordinary. The snow on the sidewalk was a little irritating to walk through, but I would have had to do it to get food, anyway.

Time: An extra minute at the cashier.

No comments:

Post a Comment