Monday, April 5, 2010

Lori Day 2

Title: Donation of tennis shoes to charity/Nice Deed #2

Date: Tuesday, Feb. 16

I recently retired from Howard County Public Schools as a Physical Education teacher. I taught P.E. for 24 years and any one of my students could tell you that I had an awesome collection of tennis shoes. I had shoes from when I first started out all the way to this year’s picks…I was a huge fan of sneakers or kicks as the kids like to call them. I didn’t need all of the shoes that I had collected as now I am wearing different shoes except when I workout…..but I was emotionally attached to all of them if you know what I mean. I can’t tell you how many times one of my students would joke about me giving him or her my shoes cause they liked them so much….my faves were my Jordans with patent leather on them….my weakness.

Event: I donated 26 pairs of my shoes (all in good shape) to Goodwill so that needy people can get enjoyment and use out of them.

Reaction: The person at Goodwill that took my bag of shoes seemed quite happy with the donation, but I didn’t get to see an actual person that got my shoes. I could picture the reaction in my mind, though as awesome shoes can brighten anyone’s day!

Would I do it again? Absolutely.
Cost: Nothing today, but overall probably about $80-$100 for each pair….they were really good shoes.
Effort: Sorting through all of my shoes and making a pile for charity and a pile that I couldn’t/wouldn’t part with. Pairing the shoes together and bagging the ones to give away.
Time: It took about 30 minutes to sort the shoes and pair them up and another 20 minutes to drive to Goodwill and donate my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment