Friday, April 9, 2010

Lori Day 6

Title: Thanking a worker at the health club/Nice Deed #6

Date: Sunday, February 21

I go to the health club when I feel well enough to ride the Lifecycle to build up my leg strength. I ride for an hour and I try to go 3 times a week. When I go, there are people around me doing cardio on treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, and steppers. I noticed early on that whenever someone gets off the machine they were using, a worker comes over and cleans the machine thoroughly by wiping it down with a cleaning solution. This makes me feel really good because a lot of sweat is lost on these machines and it’s flu season. I think this is awesome as I have worked at many health clubs and worked out at many and most leave it up to the member to clean the machine as they see fit…workers at the health clubs don’t normally do this sort of thing because it is quite a large job….there are a lot of cardio machines!

Event: After I finished my workout on the Lifecycle, I got off, went to my locker and packed up. When I turned around to leave, the worker was wiping down the bike. I went up to her and thanked her for doing this all day long. I had already watched her do this like 15 times in an hour. I explained that I had worked at many clubs and worked out at many and had never seen any of the workers do this. I told her I really appreciated it as it was nice to know the machines were clean when you were using them.

Reaction: She stopped cleaning the bike, smiled, and said “Thanks for noticing. I like doing it cause it gives me something to do during slow times.” She said I was the first person to thank her for doing it and she really appreciated it.

Would I do it again? Yes, I am a big believer in complimenting people for doing a good job.
Cost: Nothing
Effort: Very little as I was at the health club already for my workout.
Time: 2 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment