Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Danielle Day 1

Quick Bio –

I’m a 31 year-old female who lives in a small town in north central, MA and works in Cambridge, MA. I don’t know that I classify myself as a shy person, but I don’t generally talk to strangers. I prefer to keep to myself and I tend to be quiet around people I don’t know well. I signed up for Project Nice because, well, it sounded like a good idea and I wanted to support my friend in her undertaking.



Day 1 – Helped a Woman Reach Something on the Top Shelf

Helped a woman reach something on the top shelf – 2.13.10

I’m not very tall. In fact, I think I’m pretty much in the middle of the “average” range. But I often have problems reaching items on the top shelf of many stores. I’ve been known to climb the shelves to reach items. Probably not the best idea, I know. But, really, what else am I supposed to do? And why do they put all the good stuff where you can’t reach it?

Event:
I was grocery shopping and noticed a small elderly woman a little ahead of me in the aisle, looking up at the top shelf. Immediately, I thought, “Oh, I bet she can’t reach something,” and walked over to help her. At the same time, she noticed me and asked if I could reach the bottle of peanut oil on the top shelf. “I’ve been waiting for a nice tall person to come along,” she told me. “Well, I’m not tall, but I’ll happily help you,” I replied. Of course, I had to go up on tiptoe to reach the jar, but I was able to grab it and hand it to her.

Reactions:
She gave me a big smile, thanked me, and we joked about how all of the good stuff is always on the top shelf. We parted ways and along with our shopping.

Would I do it again? Of course

Cost: Nothing

Effort: None, really

Time: A few seconds

No comments:

Post a Comment