Saturday, May 8, 2010

Danielle Day 5

Day 5 – Scarves for Charity

Knitted scarves for a shelter – 2.9.10 – 2. 21.10

I learned how to knit over Christmas break. At the moment, I only know one stitch and the only useful things I know how to knit are scarves. I made several scarves for friends and relatives and thought that perhaps someone else could use it more. My friend’s mother works at a shelter for women recovering from substance abuse and their children so, naturally, it sounded like a good fit.

Event:
I knitted two scarves – one was burgundy, knitted with a thin yarn and size 10 needles, and the other was charcoal grey, knitted with a thick yarn and size 17 needles. I even added fringe to the burgundy scarf – it was my first attempt at fringe. I dropped off the scarves with my friend, who gave them to her mom to bring in to work.

Reactions:
Unknown

Would I do it again? I’ll probably do it again next winter. Maybe by then I’ll know how to make hats and mittens, too.

Cost: $4 for yarn – I bought it on sale.

Effort: Not as much as one would think. It’s gotten to the point where I can do the basic knit stitch without thinking, so I knit in the car (while my husband is driving) or while watching TV or while hanging with my in-laws, etc. It keeps my hands occupied and allows me to zone out.

Time: The burgundy one took maybe 8 or 10 hours. I don’t know exactly because didn’t do it all at once – I knitted it for an hour or so a day over the course of a couple of weeks. The grey one only took about 3 hours – I knitted it in one day while watching TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment