Sunday, May 2, 2010

Diane Day 6

TITLE: A Small Diversion



Date: February 15, 2010



Explanation of the act: Sometime small diversions can help us cope with some major disappointments. I recently accepted a long-term substitute position for a pre-school teacher who was adopting a baby. Needless to say, she was beside herself with happiness. I met with her two times before she left to observe her classroom style. One of the things we discussed was how to teach a preschooler to cut correctly. In all honesty, teaching that particular skill is a challenge for me. She was going to out of the classroom for 12 weeks. I started one day earlier than expected. The job ended within 4 days.


Event: The teacher returned to the classroom within 4 days because the birth mother decided to keep the child. Needless to say, this teacher was very disappointed. I wanted to do something for her to show her that I valued her, but did not want to overstep my bounds. After all, she only met me twice and I was not part of her “family” of teachers. I thought about our conversation regarding teaching preschoolers to cut paper. I found a workbook that was dedicated totally to that topic. I bought it, wrapped it up, and brought it to her.





Reactions: She loved it! She hugged me and said that she thought the book was wonderful and would be a big help in the classroom. While I know that it was a small gesture and in no way can make up for her loss, for just a moment I think she knew that a stranger did care.



Would I do it again? Yes



Cost: $10. For the book

Effort: A drive to Barnes and Noble



Time: 45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment