Monday, May 10, 2010

Danielle Day 7

Day 7 – FairyGodmother Project

Donated three dresses and a pair of shoes to the FairyGodmother Project – 3.5.10

Like most people my age, I’ve been to several weddings in the past few years. I’ve also had the privilege of being a bridesmaid in three of my good friends’ weddings and therefore own three bridesmaid dresses. Now, let’s be honest – I’m not going to wear them again. Don’t get me wrong, they’re very pretty dresses and I was happy to buy them and wear them for the wedding. But I cannot imagine an occasion when I’m ever going to wear them again. So I started thinking that the dresses could have a second life as prom dresses.

I would like to state, for the record, that I think that proms are overrated. I skipped my junior prom because a good friend of mine was having her birthday party that night. I did go to my senior prom, but was unimpressed – it was just like a school dance with fancier food and a much bigger price tag. But some people really enjoy the whole prom experience and I can’t imagine how heartbreaking it would be to want to go and not be able to afford something to wear.

Event:
I did some Internet research and found the FairyGodmother Project (http://www.fairygodmotherprojectofma.org), which provides gently used formal dresses, shoes and accessories to financially disadvantaged girls. Perfect. My dresses could have a second life and some girls will be able to go to their proms.

None of the drop-off locations on the website were near where I live or work, so I emailed them to find out if there were alternate locations. Someone wrote back and gave me a PO Box where I could send them. So I packed up the three dresses and a pair of shoes (that I only wore once because they killed my feet) and sent them on their way.

Reactions:
None that I’ve heard.

Would I do it again? Sure

Cost: Almost $5 for postage. I had boxes and packing supplies on hand.

Effort: Minimal

Time: About 15 minutes for packing and going to the Post Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment