Saturday, May 22, 2010

Emily Day 5

Day 5: Gave pens to the Emergency Room.

Before my dad was admitted to the hospital, predictably, he had to fill out fifty billion forms. He didn’t have a pen on him, so he borrowed one from the front desk in the ER, and was given one that had a plastic spoon taped to the top so that people wouldn’t accidentally take them. Plastic spoons did not seem like the best possible choice for pens, and I figured hey, why not give them nicer pens?

Event: I unearthed some artificial flowers, and taped them to the pens with this floral tape (I’m not sure if that’s what the tape is actually called. All I know is that it is sticky and green.). Then I placed the pens in this cute little flower pot I found, and gave it to the people at the front desk when I went to visit my dad.

Reaction: I loved the woman at the front desk’s reaction. She looked so tired and hassled when I walked in, and when I gave the pens, she got this huge smile on her face. She asked me my name, and then as I was walking out the door, I heard her say to the other woman at the desk, “Look what Emily gave us!” I never would’ve guessed that pens could make someone so happy.

Would I do it again? Yes.

Cost: I found all the materials in the basement.

Effort: The hardest part was digging for the supplies.

Time: Ten minutes at most.

No comments:

Post a Comment